Thursday, 30 July 2026

How We Are Distracted in the modern World


 Philippians 4:8

"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."


Recently, I decided to tackle my room. Over the years, I’ve accumulated stack upon stack of books, handwritten notes, tax receipts, and cherished memorabilia I just can't bring myself to part with. Many of these books and notes have piled up since I retired, leaving my space feeling cluttered and untidy.


As I sifted through the shelves, I made an interesting discovery: I have had so many passions and interests over the years that I had completely forgotten about. Shelves filled with forgotten information on health, numerology, crystals, history,  Information Technology (IT),  religious and spiritual books waiting to be rediscovered. Stories, novels waiting to be read. It made me reflect: what has distracted and sidetracked me from these interests and stories? 


The answer, overwhelmingly, is technology. Platforms like Facebook and Instagram take up far too much of my time. More recently, Artificial Intelligence (AI) has shifted my habits even further. Where I once turned to books to learn and research, I now rely on AI for immediate answers.


While AI can be a helpful tool—a fast way to confirm ideas or discover new resources; it should not replace the experience of reading.


Social media, too, has evolved. While I use Facebook and Instagram for news and business growth, the constant sensationalism is hard to ignore. Modern technology has fundamentally changed how we consume information; people rarely pick up physical newspapers, magazines, or books anymore. I fondly remember the time when you could read stacks of old magazines in waiting rooms, or flip through them at hair salons while sitting under the dryer. I really enjoyed that era; it was a great way to catch up on articles from magazines I wouldn’t normally buy.


Returning to present day, what I see and feel is something I believe many others experience as well. Technology has become a source of disharmony, misrepresentation, and endless distraction, leaving us with very little time to simply sit quietly, think deeply and reflect.


We live in a landscape where misinformation, if repeated often enough, is accepted as truth. Proper debate is rare, and there is subtle pressure to conform to the dominant narrative, even when you disagree.


My solution is a return to balance. We could do this by:

  • Read more offline: Reconnect with books, physical magazines, and longer-form writing, just like before technology took over.
  • Minimise digital noise: Cut back on unnecessary screen time and passive scrolling.
  • Connect deeply: Focus on real-world interactions and genuine human connection.

By stepping back from the screen, I can clear not just my room, but my mind—making space for thoughtful reading, real connection, and quiet reflection.



A Return to Balance

I have already begun bringing balance into my life, by  intentionally minimising digital noise. Instead of reaching for my phone, I spend time reading a book, reflecting, and writing in a notebook. I have found that my mind is less scattered, my thoughts are clearer, and the questions I ask myself are more focused.

I have also returned to one of my old notebooks, which has allowed me to look back on the issues that once troubled me and see whether I have resolved them. This has become a valuable form of private reflection at the end of each day.

Rather than journaling on my phone or typing on a computer, I now write by hand in a notebook. I find this much more personal and engaging. Writing by hand makes my reflections feel more meaningful and memorable, allowing my thoughts to settle more deeply and become part of my own understanding.

In modern day living what has been your distractions.  What do you do to sidetrack the distractions?  I love to hear from you . 

No comments:

Post a Comment